4 week old Chick Legs not Functioning?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ReLearning2Live, Oct 7, 2012.

1. ReLearning2Live

ReLearning2Live Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2012
    Central NY
    Okay, so here's the situation:

We have a small (16) flock of red broiler meat birds. They are just 4 weeks old 3 days ago. They are outside now and living in a coop w/ run, so nothing can take off with them being they're still small.

One female is down and can't seem to get up on her own. We took her in as soon as we noticed last night when closing them up. She was a little bit in shock last night but now is not. She is eating and drinking just fine.

I examined her and she looks perfectly fine in every way except her legs not working - the legs are not injured in any outwardly visible way. I read up on the forums last night and saw that it might be a slipped tendon so I looked and one leg does have a swollen knee joint. This morning all the other chicks are still healthy and active, so I don't think it's anything bacterial/parasidic/etc.
    This morning I took her out, changed her bedding, and re-examined her - since she wasn't in shock she responded to my prodding gently and I found that that swollen joint is painful to her if I try to extend it. The other doesn't seem to hurt her and she pulls it back up to her body if I extend it. I felt for a slipped tendon in both legs and either didn't feel anything or don't know what I'm looking for. I wrapped both her legs just in case it was a fracture or break that I couldn't see. There's no bumblefoot and no twisting that I can see. I also gave her poultry vitamins and crushed a tiny bit of B complex and put it in her water as well. Her poops are normal. Picture below!

I am really at a loss - I've never seen anything like this! Any ideas?!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  2. J-Sanders

J-Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    I would think slipped tendon as well.

Jim

3. ReLearning2Live

Jul 29, 2012
    Central NY
    Well, it's been a full day and no new things to try...what should I do if I'm treating it like a slipped tendon? I see conflicting advice and am unsure of how to proceed.

4. J-Sanders

Jul 28, 2012
    There really isn't a set course of tx for slipped tendon. Make sure the chicken is getting good feed and water and a multi vitamin like Poly-vi-sol without iron.

Look at this thread if you haven't already. Slipped tendon

Jim

5. ReLearning2Live

Jul 29, 2012
    Central NY
    Thanks Jim!

Read it and re-wrapped her with a pipe-cleaner and gonna hope for the best!

Oh! I should add that her joint was not swollen anymore!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  6. J-Sanders

Jul 28, 2012
    That is great news! Good luck.

Jim

7. ReLearning2Live

Jul 29, 2012
    Central NY
    Well, she took a turn for the worse. I noticed this morning that she sounded a little raspy breathing - like a little bit of fluid in her lungs.
    So I looked up some more possibilities and I think it might be Mycoplasma synoviae. I ran out and got erythromycin (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11315660) at Petsmart to put in her water.

It's now 4 hours later and she's all fluffed up, eating, but refusing water and I'm going to be surprised if she makes it through the night - her breathing is labored. *sigh
    It's hard when we lose one, but a vet visit would be much too expensive. I just hope it doesn't strike the others :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by