4 week old chick not growing

NoelTate

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Mobile, AL
Hi...I purchased a turkey, a naked neck, and a giant cochin about 4 weeks ago. The naked neck and turken are growing and are a good 5-6 times their original size. The cochin, however, has problems. She might be about 3 times her original size, if that large. At first, things seemed normal. Her feathers started coming in, but then she just never grew. Now, her feathers are even looking a bit different, almost like a brush has been run through them to roughen them. When she chirps, it sounds weak and quiet, sort of like she is hoarse. Sometimes she opens her mouth and no noise comes out. She seems healthy and active otherwise. She eats, drinks, poops, runs around. She just isn't growing at all. She is definitely not a bantam. I got a group of bantam cochins and another naked neck last week, and the naked neck is already almost her size even though it is about 3 weeks younger.
I have pics of her, but I am not sure how to post them here. I could email them, though, if anyone thinks they can figure out what is going on with her. I sure would appreciate any help or advice!
Noel

OK, finally learned to post pics...maybe these will give someone some insight into what is going on with this chick. She is probably about 6 weeks old now, but she is only the size of my 3 week old turken chick. She has gotten feathers, but they look kinda rough-not like a frizzle, but like they were regular feathers that got brushed and frayed. When she chirps she either has no noise come out at all or she sounds hoarse. She is a little less active than the other chicks but not too much less. She eats, drinks, and poops. I guess at this point I can give up on her growing. She is still in with my young chicks. Guess I'll just have a pet chick that has to live in a bird cage or something! When we picked them up, my sister said it's a shame they don't stay that small-maybe she cursed this one!
cochin2.jpg

cochinandturken.jpg

in this pic, she is about 4 weeks old and the turken is abotu 2 weeks old, if I remember correctly.

I will try to get new pics of her this week.

My Cochins are all smaller and slower to get their feathers. especially my blue cochins. Maybe it's a cochin thing? cause when they grow up they have a ton more feathers
smile.png

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom