4 week old chick not thriving like others

Irmasmom

Songster
5 Years
May 3, 2016
Hello! I am completely new to raising chickens! I have done a lot of research with books, internet and especially this site for info prior to getting our new chicks! We got 15 chicks 4 weeks ago and were told they were just a few days old (all within 2-5 days). So far all of them are doing great! Eating Krambach chick started medicated feed and growing like weeds! However, 1 of my rhode island reds is significantly smaller than the others at this point. She is fully feathered, but about half the size. I see her eating and drinking and roosting like the others. However, she is hunched with her neck into body whereas the others have their necks stretched out and up like normal. I dont know if there is anything I can do for her or just keep an eye out to make sure she isnt picked on.. I never observe it currently and she seems to be holding her own. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Welcome to BYC. There are just some chicks that fail to thrive. If all the others are fine she may be suffering from some sort of a congenital problem. In nature such chicks generally die within the first couple of days.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already from Sourland, so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Does she looks like the same breed? Maybe she is a bantam breed instead. Does she have problems extending her neck? A picture of her usual posture could be insightful.

Yes she is a Rhode Island Red like the others. She looks identical just much smaller. I have seen her extend her neck but generally speaking she keeps it close to her body and is hunched. I will try to get a picture. She definitely isn't as persistent as the others, she is quick to shy away if the others are crowding her but she's so small she almost has to to not get trampled. Right now she's holding her own, I've even seen her perching with the others and I see no evidence of getting picked on. I guess it's a wait and see thing with her and hope for the best,

Back
Top Bottom