4-week old chick with eyelid turned inside out(?) [PICS]

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wynette, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    This is a 4 1/2 week old Marans cockerel; I just noticed last night that he has an eye issue. It's not swollen, it looks as if something is spulling the lid forward. Other eye is fine. It's the oddest thing. It's not bleeding and I see no discharge. He is not sneezing or coughing. I have a hard time with eye stuff...just grosses me out. Is this a sort of eye defect, or do you think he's sustained a peck or injury? Again, the eye is not swollen. He is eating and drinking fine, in with several other chicks in a large basement dog kennel brooder on pine shavings and is fed chick starter and water with Avia Charge 2000. I don't know if he should be separated for some reason, or if he needs treatment, or if I should just watch & see if it changes in any way. Any and all feedback is much appreciated:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lilywater101

Lilywater101 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2009
    Hey, It sounds like it's just a defect, if there is no discharge or no other symptoms you should probably just wait and keep a close on the chick.[​IMG]

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Look for little sunglasses, wouldn't be noticeable then.

4. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Now THERE'S an idea, Opa! The girls will think him quite a looker with his little shades on, eh?

5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    or maybe a pirate's patch? very fashionable these days.

it looks like the eyelid is just large. hopefully someone with experience will jump in here.

6. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Pirate patch - that would be cute! Thanks for weighing in, Miss_Jayne. Yep, I'm hoping someone will see this thread that's had this issue before. I don't know if I should cull or wait and see. He's healthy otherwise, so my gut tells me to just watch & wait & see.

7. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Looks like a defect- I second the eye patch [​IMG].

8. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks, KrisRose. Seriously though, I do hope someone weighs in that has seen this before. [​IMG]

9. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Maybe he was looking cross eyed and his eyes got stuck, just like his mother told him they would!

Sorry, I probably shouldn't make light of it. Hope someone can help you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by