4 Week old chickens???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thereverend, Jul 10, 2010.

1. thereverend

thereverend Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    Someone has given me 4 week old chickens. Can i put them in with the adults ??

2. Liana

Liana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern NH
    I would keep them separate. There is too great an age and size difference at this point. Besides, the 4 weekers need to be on a different feed than the mature flock.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I always wait till they are at least 16 weeks old and then put them on the roosts with the others at night.

They will go through the pecking order thing for a few days but then they'll get on with life as usual.

4. thereverend

May 15, 2010
    I really dont have anywhere separate to put them. In that case what would you do???

5. Liana

Liana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern NH
    What's your current setup like? Can you put dividers in your coop/run so they each have a separate space?

6. thereverend

May 15, 2010
    One large pen about 15x15 and one large coop the fence is about 7 foot high so seperating them is very hard..

7. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    We built a smaller pen off one side of our hen house. You can use scrap lumber if you have any laying around. Used regular field wire for fencing, and reinforced with 3 foot high 1 inch chicken wire at bottom to keep them from getting out. You can use cable ties to connect the two layers of fencing. Of course you gotta put a roof, to keep out predators, but it doesn't really take all that long to build, and is worth it. Our 2 teenage girls helped us, and we made it a family adventure. An old screen door is a cheap way to go on a door. Just put latches up top and on the bottom. Keeps it more secure. Oh, and we were able to do it all in one afternoon.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by