4 Week Old Chicks: Chickzilla & Wild Bird? :-)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WiredSimon, Apr 19, 2009.

1. WiredSimon

WiredSimon Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Grand Rapids
    Hi,

A friend gave us some eggs to hatch under some "loaner" broody hens for practicing our chicken husbandry prior to our hatchery ordered chicks arriving. Some of the eggs were from a friend of his, some from his own mixed breed flock.

These two are now 4 weeks old and we, being new to chickens as a hobby, haven't got a clue. They sure don't look like any of the purebred ones we got from the hatchery.

The gray one is Chickzilla because of his size, and the other the kids call Audry and I think she looks like some sort of wild chicken from Borneo or something (just kidding).

Any thoughts on breed or gender of these guys? The last photo is of Chickzilla reaching for a dandelion leaf.

Thanks for any and all help.

Kathy
    Sort-of West Michigan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    Sorry, Haven't a clue...Just wanted to tell you how cute I think they are...They sure do like you!!!!

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I am sure I will be bertated terribly ...... [​IMG] But i think they are EE's or auruacaunas simply because of the green legs..They are the only breed i have seen with green legs.... They are very cute BTW [​IMG] .... Now back to [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  4. WiredSimon

Mar 16, 2009
    Grand Rapids
    I'm stumped, please tell me what EEs are.

Thanks!

5. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Chickzilla looks like an ameraucana or a cross of one because it has the muffs but no beard. The other one looks like a cross with either old english game or leghorn.

6. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    EE is easter egger, basically any bird that lays colored eggs. Hatcheries sell EE's as araucanas/ameraucanas.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    they are EE's or auruacaunas simply because of the green legs..They are the only breed i have seen with green legs

There are MANY recognised breeds and varieties with willow (green) legs!!!!!​

8. WiredSimon

Mar 16, 2009
    Grand Rapids
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts on Chickzilla and Audry. I hadn't really noticed the "muffs" on chickzilla before. Cute :)

What other breeds DO have willow green legs? You've peeked my interest.

Kathy

9. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:There are MANY recognised breeds and varieties with willow (green) legs!!!!!

Please enlighten Me... As I said " They are the only I have seen" I am always looking to learn more about chickens... [​IMG]

10. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Lol wow i named my chick chickzilla lol. He's an EE too =]
    He's aboutt 6 months now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by