4 week old chicks have strange lumps on chest/neck!

maliciousglow

Hatching
Mar 2, 2015
I went out to give more food and water to the little chickens. I picked up one Dom to check the injury on her leg and saw that she had a really big lump high up on her chest. I know that's where the crop is, so I'm kind of panicking thinking maybe the chicks all have Marek's or impacted crops! Every chick I checked has a squishy lump (some bigger than others), but I made sure each one of them has been defecating regularly. Any idea what it could be? Do they need more grit? There is a dust/chick grit box in the coop and I'm wondering if that grit has been too small. Did I screw up my chicks?

thats the crop! think of a puppy or kitty with a big fat belly....sort of the same thing. In the morning, it will be empty. Provide grit free choice, they will figure out what they need at 4 weeks. the first week, if the chicks have access to grains, not the processed mush dried into crumbles, or have access to grass, etc, you can sprinkle grit as if you were salting their feed. after that they can figure it out on their own.

Back
Top Bottom