4 week old chicks in coop - tonight it goes down to 37 degrees... Should I move them back inside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gcbsmommy, Mar 1, 2013.

1. gcbsmommy

gcbsmommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Florida
    They did fine in the coop last night and it went down to 45, but tonight it goes down to 37, and 34 the next night. Is that too cold? The coop has solid walls but on two ends there is a triangular area just covered with chicken wire so the cool air can definitely waft in and all the warmer air generated by the chicks will waft through that wire. There are 8 nesting boxes in there that they can huddle in and the floor is covered in 2 inches of pine shavings. There are 27 chicks to keep each other warm if that makes any difference. If I should move them, I need to do it soon before it gets dark so your input is much appreciated!

2. Kilsharion

Kilsharion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Landstown
    My Coop
    Mine are about five weeks, now - but, for the last week or so we've been dipping down into the mid 30s at night and they are doing fine. I only have six of them that age; but, so far, they've weathered it just fine. If you're worried about cool air wafting through, you could always cut little pieces of cardboard as wind breaks and leave the top section open for ventilation.

When we hit 31 the other night, I did run an extension cord and hang a heat emitter outside on one end of the coop - I just used bailing wire and attached it to the hardware cloth at an angle. Gave the gals a warm spot to cuddle up in if they needed it. Went out the next morning and they were chipper as could be.

3. gcbsmommy

Feb 12, 2013
    Florida
    Thank you so much! We probably could put tarps over the chicken wire windows - thanks for the idea! I really appreciate your help!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They'll be fine. First, it isn't likely to be quite as cold inside the coop as it is outside. Can you string an additional lamp or even another 100 regular bulb? At 3 weeks, they don't need 90 degrees anymore. If you can make a hot spot of 75? They'll be just fine for those few hours that the temps dip down that low.

5. gcbsmommy

Feb 12, 2013
    Florida
    I don't have any electricity in the coop. We could run an extension cord from the garage but I am concerned about starting a fire accidentally...

As an aside, my mother just called. She is very worried about our two 6 month old goats in the stall next to the coop. She wanted to bring over her bathroom space heater and have us put it in the stall with them to keep them warm or else she would worry all night about them! I love her, but this just made me LOL. We call her the Fairy Goat Mother.

6. gcbsmommy

Feb 12, 2013
    Florida
    UPDATE!

DH ran a heavy-duty extension cord and rigged up a heat lamp for them. He also covered the chicken wire "windows" at the top with tarp. We just checked on them, and everyone seemsto be doing fine. We should have happy chickies tonight.

7. Kilsharion

Kilsharion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Landstown
    My Coop
    Great news [​IMG]

8. gcbsmommy

Feb 12, 2013
    Florida
    Thank you! Everyone was doing A-OK this morning! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by