4 week old chicks...Inside or out?

Janos&Jen

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Spring Hill, FL
Ok y'all...Again I am new at all of this but I kind of put the cart in front of the horse and got my chicks before doing any real research. I live in West central FL and it has been freakishly cold the past week with highs in the 40's and nightime lows in the 20's (weird) so the qusestion is I have my babies in a xl dog crate with a 100 watt red flood light. I cant take the smell in the house anymore these sweeties are pooping machines! I dont have a garage or shed to put them in but I do have a lean to that They could go under. I was thinking of putting a blanket around the crate and clamping the light just above it. There are 3 walls on the lean to but it is open in the front. Is this enough? I would really appreciate your input. I have a lot to learn but I will be a good Momma!

As long as they have a heated draft free place to warm up in, and a draft free area to sleep in they'll be fine. You know those big rubber made tubs? A small access hole in one side and a heat light above it, often provides enough heat for them, depending on how many you have. Watch them carefully as temps drop. Near one another in the heated zone is good, with periods of activity out where it's cooler, piling up and inactive is bad, if they pile up and are inactive there's too little warmth. You watch for awhile and be prepared to adjust. Their activity level will let you know if they're comfortable.

I put my 4 week old ( I have 4) out with the Silkies in an uninsulated coop that has pop door open all the time. They have a corner they can sleep together in. The Silkies ignore them and they have been fine. Here it has been around 19 at night with day time temps of 35 to 48. BRRRR, but the little buggers are doing fine and are feathered out nicely. They have no heat lamp, just a draft free coop with extra chickens for warmth at night. I do have a water warmer on all day sitting on a flat rock. The rock stays warm and I do find them sleeping on it in the morning.

Last edited:
Janos & Jen...

Just a thought... Consider two lights, just in case one goes bad. Don't want them to freeze. I've seen several people post horror stories that involved frozen chicks and a single, blown bulb.

I'm in SW Alabama and we are FREEZING!!! Wind chills below zero. Snow and ice tomorrow! Cold, Cold, GO AWAY!!!
fl.gif

Just have one light and check often or two and still check fairly often, the damndest things happen. Just looking for a few seconds every few hours can save lives.

How did they do last night?

We have 3, 4 & 5 week old in a shed with a light on them that is draft free and they do fine.
We are N. Central Fl 50 miles from Georgia

My husband (turned softy I suppose
tongue.png
) decided to keep them in and it's a good thing. I don't know that I have ever seen so much frost around here as I did this morning! I did put them in the rubbermaid tote, put some vent hols in it, cracked the window in the bathroom and shone the light on them and it cut down on the smell. It is going to be a cold one on Saturday but we plan on getting out there and putting the coop up so they can have a decent amount of space.

If you still have them in the house, try changing the bedding frequently. This should help reduce the smell. Luckily I am able to raise my chicks in a heated garage. Even in the garage I was anxious (last spring) to move them to the coop (with a heat lamp) by week six.

Back
Top Bottom