4 week old chicks (long shot)

ambe0487

Songster
Jul 6, 2015
Urbandale, IA
I have 6- 4 week old chicks. I'm only sure on one of their breeds. I hatched them from eggs given to be that were a range of greens, blues, and Browns. So I'm assuming they are barnyard mix but hoping some of you can help identify them. Also, I have 2 black chicks that all black or black/grey and they have 2 different sized combs. Based on on different sizes, I was going with one male and one female from them. :fl

The blonde one is a buff orpington and has a small comb so I'm still wondering if it's a he/she.

Here are a couple photos to see what you all think.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I have 6- 4 week old chicks. I'm only sure on one of their breeds. I hatched them from eggs given to be that were a range of greens, blues, and Browns. So I'm assuming they are barnyard mix but hoping some of you can help identify them. Also, I have 2 black chicks that all black or black/grey and they have 2 different sized combs. Based on on different sizes, I was going with one male and one female from them. :fl

The blonde one is a buff orpington and has a small comb so I'm still wondering if it's a he/she.

Here are a couple photos to see what you all think.

Pullet

Does it have a triple rowed pea comb? It kind of looks like one in the pictures. If so, it is very likely it is a cockerel. If not, I'm leaning towards pullet.

I'm leaning towards cockerel based in comb size, although it isn't very red. It may be crossed with a dark skinned breed such as a Sumatra or Silkie.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Actually, I didn't put that the two photos of the individual black chick are actually 2 different chicks. The top one is the one I think is the boy.

The black and white one with the circle arrived it's eye and what seems to be some barring on its back doesn't have a 3 row pea comb. This is what it looks like

Actually, I didn't put that the two photos of the individual black chick are actually 2 different chicks. The top one is the one I think is the boy.

The black and white one with the circle arrived it's eye and what seems to be some barring on its back doesn't have a 3 row pea comb. This is what it looks like

I misread your post and thought you meant the barred one was the other black one. The barred one doesn't have a triple rowed pea comb so I am leaning towards pullet. I agree with you that the top one looks like a cockerel and the bottom a pullet. :)

I misread your post and thought you meant the barred one was the other black one. The barred one doesn't have a triple rowed pea comb so I am leaning towards pullet. I agree with you that the top one looks like a cockerel and the bottom a pullet. :)

No, I realized after your post I put both black chicks photos in a row but didn't specify they were different. And...:weee :celebrate :yiipchick. Thank you for the information!!! My last hatch, I had a very good idea who was going to be the rooster by 4 weeks and one even crowing by 5 weeks. This time they are throwing me for a loop!

No, I realized after your post I put both black chicks photos in a row but didn't specify they were different. And...:weee :celebrate :yiipchick. Thank you for the information!!! My last hatch, I had a very good idea who was going to be the rooster by 4 weeks and one even crowing by 5 weeks. This time they are throwing me for a loop!

You're welcome :) These seem to be more confusing to sex for me too, I think it's the black combs that get me. :)

I can't add any thing to the breed guesses, but I just wanted to say those are some very beautifully colored chicks! So pretty! I especially love the all black one.

Back
Top Bottom