4 week old chicks (long shot)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ambe0487, Mar 1, 2016.

1. ambe0487

ambe0487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    I have 6- 4 week old chicks. I'm only sure on one of their breeds. I hatched them from eggs given to be that were a range of greens, blues, and Browns. So I'm assuming they are barnyard mix but hoping some of you can help identify them. Also, I have 2 black chicks that all black or black/grey and they have 2 different sized combs. Based on on different sizes, I was going with one male and one female from them. :fl

The blonde one is a buff orpington and has a small comb so I'm still wondering if it's a he/she.

Here are a couple photos to see what you all think. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North

3. ambe0487

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA

Actually, I didn't put that the two photos of the individual black chick are actually 2 different chicks. The top one is the one I think is the boy.

The black and white one with the circle arrived it's eye and what seems to be some barring on its back doesn't have a 3 row pea comb. This is what it looks like

[​IMG]

4. Rhodebar Lover

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    I misread your post and thought you meant the barred one was the other black one. The barred one doesn't have a triple rowed pea comb so I am leaning towards pullet. I agree with you that the top one looks like a cockerel and the bottom a pullet. :)

5. ambe0487

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA

No, I realized after your post I put both black chicks photos in a row but didn't specify they were different. And...:weee :celebrate :yiipchick. Thank you for the information!!! My last hatch, I had a very good idea who was going to be the rooster by 4 weeks and one even crowing by 5 weeks. This time they are throwing me for a loop!

6. Rhodebar Lover

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    You're welcome :) These seem to be more confusing to sex for me too, I think it's the black combs that get me. :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree[​IMG] think my brain is frozen

8. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I can't add any thing to the breed guesses, but I just wanted to say those are some very beautifully colored chicks! So pretty! I especially love the all black one.

9. ambe0487

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA

I completely agree, I am have nothing more than an educated guess (and honestly, it's not very educated)!

10. ambe0487

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA

Thank you!! I love them all and hope they are all females so I can keep them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by