4 Week Old Chicks Outside In Shed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by comedianchick, Dec 11, 2009.

1. comedianchick

comedianchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    maryland
    HELP ...My father sais my4 WEEK 10 silky chicks have to be out of the basement and in the shed in one day it is about 30 degrees at night and the fuse tends to blow making the light go out i have a heat lamp and very small space heater but if they go out then the chicks will die what do i do???he sais its not realistic to have them in the house!!!
    any suggestion appreciated

2. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    If it's that cold, I don't think they would live outside at 4 weeks. I do keep mine in the garage with lights on, but they are 8 weeks old.

3. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    i guess all you can do is beg and pray, and if that dont work you ll have to put them out side and hope fo the best and check on them all the time

4. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Can you put them in the garage with a heating lamp? or heat pad? I hid a sick rooster under my bed once and my mom came to wake me up in the morning and she starts talking and all the sudden "COCK-A-DOODLE-DOOOO1" as loud as he could possibly manage. ahaa Scared my mother silly. Can you put them in your bedroom maybe if there out of sight and mind he won't mind? Or think of a compromise, like a sun powered heating lamp for outdoors?

5. aalbury

aalbury Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    Mine are in my kitchen. I wonder what's not realistic about it. Maybe you can ask him to address why a light would cause a fuse to blow and he can fix that issue before kicking them out there?

6. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    Assuming the worst.... they have to go outside and the fuse blows.... I would cover the brooder with blankets and towels. Try to keep it insulated. Even add a very warm blanet inside for them to snuggle against. Maybe a hot water bottle too. I'd check that fuse every few hours, even through the night and keep that water bottle nice and warm.

Did your dad pay for the chicks? Letting them die doesn't seem very practicle either. They just need a few more weeks to feather out and it will be safer to have them outside. Even then it will take some work on your part to keep them warm and safe out there.

7. comedianchick

Dec 11, 2009
    maryland
    Thanks ill show him what you guys said and hope for the best

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    First off, don't panic! My chicks have been outside in the coop brooder since they were 2 wks. old and are doing just fine with our temps. dipping into the teens here at night.

Here's the things that you need to do. Make sure their brooder is draft free. Totally enclose them so that no cold air can move through the brooder. Is there a way that dad can fix the fuse or whatever it is that is making the switch flip? That is the biggest thing other than the draft free brooder. They absolutely will need to have the heat lamp with temps. that low. Try and see if he is willing to work on that issue today. He might be more willing if you explain that you'd be happy to move them out if he could help ensure that they will have a constant heat source and a draft free spot/brooder. If you can take care of those two things, they will be fine to go outside. [​IMG]

9. comedianchick

Dec 11, 2009
    maryland
    k thanks

10. aalbury

aalbury Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    Can you run an extension cord with an additional light on another breaker out there for back up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by