4 week old chicks outside????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RickiHupp, Nov 14, 2008.

1. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    I have eight 4 week old chicks that I would like to set outside for a while today in thier cage. Its 65 degrees and pretty sunny out. I was wondering if that was okay to do?

They would be outside for an hour or two but no longer.

All of them are almost fully feathered but not completely.

2. RickiHupp

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    bump [​IMG]

3. mirecipes

mirecipes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    Can you set them up in a not too breezy spot with a heat lamp or some other kind of warmth that they can move away or closer depending on how they are feeling?

Edited to add..Like maybe a cardboard box with a couple quart jars of hot water and then check on them and see how they are doing?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    If it's sunny the temp should be fine, perhaps put something (box, planter) where they can get out of the breeze if they need to. Also, make sure they're safe from predators, cats, dogs, hawks, snakes, telemarketers, etc.

Here in South Fla I put my chicks outside as soon as I can, so they can leave more of their plentiful poops in the grass. I have pieces of big bird cages that I zip-tie together to make an enclosure, and lay plastic netting over the top. I make sure there's a hiding place for them well in the middle of the enclosure. Sometimes the hawks will land right by the cage & will peck at the chicks through the wire. The chicks' instincts will tell them to run & hide, but if their box is by the side of the enclosure they'll go to hide right where the hawks can still reach them.

When it comes to chicks' comfort, I let them tell me how they're feeling. If they're too cold or otherwise unhappy they'll show & tell you with their loud cheeping & their behaviors. As long as they're going about their little birdy business as usual, you needn't worry about it being too cold for them. But if you find them all huddled up & complaining loudly, then they need some more warmth.

5. RickiHupp

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    okay! thank you very much [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by