4 week old chicks outside?

Does it have a guard?
This lamp has a good guard, and it stays relatively cool to the touch, while still providing heat. I would put this in my coop.

This one I would not put in my coop, for fear of fire or one of my hens hitting it and then catching herself on fire. It also gets too hot.

Hope this helps! Keep warm tonight ;)
-M

Sadly it is the bottom one. I'm installing a huddle box now and then will point the heat lamp through the partially open window/ventilation gap. I've got a thermometer in the coop. How cold on that thermometer is too cold? They've stayed 60 all day with no lamp and seem perfectly happy.

Not a safe idea. Those heat lamps are not designed to be used outside. Those chicks really do not need a heat lamp if they have a huddle box. My chicks are brooded outside here in Maine, (mid April, temps 30's at night, 40-s to 50's during the day time, and by 3 weeks old, they are not using their heating pad cave at all.

So you think it would be better to just close everything up and no heat lamp? Low tonight is 40 so I think they'll be fine, but tomorrow they are saying 27.

ok thanks. they've been used to 60 for days now with no heat source, both inside and out. just nervous about dropping by up to 30 degrees in 36 hours. Will update any curious parties in the morning!

I am currently wishing for your temperatures up here in the Northeast. Usually i brood chicks in March/April and by 4-5 weeks our temps are around where your cold snap is and mine go outside in the coop. I have never had a fatality due to the cold and all grow up healthy. Now at the temps im at now, 25 during day and teens at night, I'm not sure.

In my experience, at your cold snap temperatures fully feathered chicks do fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom