4 week old chicks with coccidiosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Herself, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Herself

Herself Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    This morning I found bloody smears in my chicks' dropping. Just smears & not very bright. I just got this chicks Wednesday evening, and I showed the woman I brought them from a sample of the droppings. She confirmed that it was coccidiosis, and told me how to treat it. I purchased Duramycin-10 (Tetracycline Hydrochloride), and mixed 1 teaspoon to 2 quarts of water in their waterer. She also told me to mix a half tablespoon of cayenne pepper to a quart of their food. They are on medicated chick starter. I followed the dosage direction the woman gave me because it didn't give the dosage on the package.

I started them on this treatment at about 10am. They are still running around, and eating & drinking fine. I have only seen one more smear of blood so far. I was told to change the water once a day & keep using the medication for 48 hours.

The chicks are in a large chicken coop about 8 x 9 with shaving on the floor. I keep it real clean, but I know this hot humid weather can increase the risk of coccidiosis.

I tried to post this message before, but it didn't post & I re-typed it. Excuse me if I end up with a double post.

Herself

I really worried about them. Am I doing the right thing? Is there anything else I can be doing?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

That will not treat coccidia, that is an antibiotic. You need either Corid (I prefer) or Sulmet. Corid is one tablespoon per gallon.

3. Hockeychick

Hockeychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Warren County, NJ
    My chicks had coccidiosis, and I treated them with Corid. I think that Sulmet also works. I don't know anything about Duramycin and Cocci. I only had 1 lethargic bird, but like yours, there were lots of droppings with blood. I took a sample to the vet, and she confirmed that they definitely had cocci. The blood disappeared after only a few days, and the lethargic bird recovered fully.

I hope someone with more cocci experience posts something. Are your birds on medicated feed? We initially did not use medicated feed, but switched over, and they all seem healthy.

4. Herself

May 3, 2010
    Yes, my chicks are on medicated feed. I called Blue Seal after the first reply to my post & the man there told me that the Duramycin-10 is used for coccidiosis. Now I'm really confused I don't want to mix meds. I wish someone else with experience would also reply to this post.

Herself

5. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Quote:This is your treatment for coccidiosis. Good luck!

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:This is your treatment for coccidiosis. Good luck!

I use Corid too and it works great. I've read many posts where people have had good luck with Sulmet too when they have been unable to find Corid locally but haven't used it myself. Cocci is a protozoa and Duramyacin won't do anything for it. The cocci thrive and multiply on the b vitimins/thiamine and the corid blocks that allowing the birds to recover, I'm not sure how the Sulmet works. The good news is that while cocci can kill quickly it also responds well to prompt treatment so if you can get your chicks started on the correct meds fairly soon everything should be fine.

Here's a link to the infamous "poo page" as well. Sometimes normal cecal droppings can be confused with cocci. An experienced breeder should be able to tell the difference, but I have some doubts about the woman you bought your chicks from since she gave you some really bad/incorrect advice about the proper course of treatment in the first place. Good luck with your new babies!!

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  7. Herself

May 3, 2010
    I looked at the poop page & my chick's poo didn't look like the sample shown there with blood in the feces. My chicks just had a very light pink smears on the shavings, which I discovered when I checked them first thing in the morning. I haven't seen anything else since then & my chicks seem pretty happy & normal. Eyes bright, eating & drinking & pooing, and running around flapping their wings trying to fly. I wonder if they really have coccidiosis after all. If I start them on the right meds tomorrow morning will it harm them if they don't really have coccidiosis?

Thank you all for the information & help!

Herself

8. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    The meds won't hurt, but if you think it's more likely cecal poo or normal intestinal shedding you could wait a bit. What I would do is to get the meds so that you have them on hand and then keep an eye on things. Have you been feeding them any treats? Red foods like strawberries can cause little smears too.

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Well I know Sulmet is often mixed in a powder with an antibiotic, so you should be fine with using both, but I would start using the Corid or Sulmet, and not the meds. Corid is the same as what is in medicated feed, only stronger. Medicated feed only helps prevent, not keep coccidia from happening, it is too small a dose. Best Wishes

turtlebird............. I don't know what you are saying? I have over 300 chickens alone and lots of experience with coccidia, especially here in Florida...... [​IMG]

10. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I think turtlebird was saying that your post described the proper treatment for cocci and then was saying good luck/best wishes to the op. I don't think it was a sarcastic comment, just not a very clear one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by