4 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bdp7150, Nov 16, 2008.

1. bdp7150

bdp7150 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Kentucky
    i put chickens (17) in coop ,the coop is staying around 50 degree with heat lamp on all the time outside temp is 25-30 degrees. question if i do this all winter or until warmer days ,should i cut this heat lamp on time back some like only at night on and off during day or keep doing what i'm doing?

2. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Our temp is colder than yours, and I only put my heat light on at nights (same aged chicks) Encourages quicker feathering..

3. bdp7150

bdp7150 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Kentucky
    THEY ARE FEATHERED EXCEPT AROUND THE HEAD AND IT WILL GET ALOT COLDER COMING SOON. THANKS

4. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Try setting up the lamp on a timer so it comes on at intervals thru the day / night.

5. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    I have mine on at all times, they go to it when they want and go play when they want. They don't just sit under it until night time.

6. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Mine can choose indoors by the light or go play and/or roost somewhere else. They go outside in the frost and damp just fine. Come in to get warm, go back out.

I want them to have a choice. The brooder spot only takes up about an eighth of the coop space. So they get plenty of temp shifts. Yet, if one gets wet or cold outside they've got a place to go. They spread out when they're warm, they crowd up under the light if the temps get freaky.

I'd rather not be wrong about when one needs some extra warmth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by