4 Week old Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Morning Dove, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Morning Dove

Morning Dove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Well, My 12 chicks are doing fine in the bathtub! The roos are starting to have pinker and bigger combs and little waddles are beginning to grow! That said, I'm getting tire of having them in the house. I've read that they aren't fullly feathered until 10 weeks, but can I put them out side during the day for a bit, if it's warm and not raining? I have a garage I could put them in, in a dog kennel, but I'm wondering how cleaning it out would work? I also have a coop with 2 hens and a roo who are speckled sussex, and the new chicks are leghorns. At what age can I put the leghorn hens in with my other hens? I have a separate coop for the roosters that will be dinner eventually....

Any tips on introducing the leghorn hens to the speckled sussex hens?

Thanks!

Dove

2. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I'm interested in this as well. I have 7 chicks that are a week old today. I have a speckled sussex roo and hen and then a trio of barred rock banties.

I suspect I won't be introducing them until March. But hoping to get a nice warm coop built for them in the barn, right down the isle from the big kids. Then they can at least hear them. (but again, that will be a while till they feather out!)

3. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Large cardboard box in the garage after two weeks in the house.
    That is my standard method.
    Use a large box with high sides, lay some wire across the open top so they wont fly out.
    Put a good heat light in it and they will be just fine.
    I move them to the coop at 8 weeks unless it is summer. Then sooner.

4. Morning Dove

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Quote:How do you clean the card board box out? Just dump it and add fresh pine?

Dove

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I think they're fully feathered by 6-7 weeks. I raised my first batch of chicks in the house for the 7 weeks and I thought my husband might kill me. Now I raise them in the barn from the start. My most recent batch were hatched by broodies, so they don't have a heat lamp or anything, just their mamas.

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

mine go out @ 4 weeks.
    and integrating them into a "grown" flock isnt that bad as long as there is plenty of room,, so they dont always have to be under-foot of the big birds.
    but ya,, you could take them outside during the days,, for the first week have the light there,, then after that, ony use it very little on the cold days,, or they will take forever to get used to the "chill"

7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I'd put them outside with a light for heat just in case.

8. Grant6411

Grant6411 RIP Steven

Dec 1, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Quote:pics please!

9. Morning Dove

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Oh, I don't have a camera, I'm sorry!

10. Morning Dove

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    We have had some very nice days, so I put them out in the dog crate, with a lamp, food, water and a bit of shelter and I let out my SSs. The SSs are curious about the little chickens, they walk around the kennel checking each other out. So far no signs of any aggression.

This weekend should be interesting, I'm dog sitting for some friend (the friends who gave me the leghorn eggs) because they are having a baby Today! (Scheduled C section). Anyway their dog is allergic to chickens and a bird chaser, so I have to be careful with her.

Wish me luck!

Dove

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by