1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 Week Old Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Diedie, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Diedie

Diedie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    I got 3-4 week old chicks. Do I have to keep the light on during the night. It is about 9oC during the night. They are not sleeping in the chicken run but in my garage in a box.

2. LD Jackson

LD Jackson Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Quote:Just to be clear, surely you don't mean 90 °Celsius. That would be 194 °Fahrenheit. If it is 90 °F, I think that should be fine, as they are no doubt getting some of their feathers. How hot does it get with the light on?

3. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    If you mean 9 degrees Celsius that is about 48 degrees F and that might be a little cold without the heat lamp. I would still turn it off, like you, because I want the chicks to get used to the dark but as long as they're in the garage and they're away from drafts they will be fine. They will most likely keep each other warm, and you can always put a blanket over most of the brooder to keep out some of the cold.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would put a heat lamp if it is 9 degrees C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by