4 week old chics in MD heat.... lamp or no lamp???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChixRock, Jul 28, 2011.

1. ChixRock

ChixRock New Egg

Jul 28, 2011
    Davidsonville, MD
    I keep my bunch (5 chicks- one is a bantam) in a coop in the garage. It has been pretty warm here on the east coast- I am not sure how cool it gets at night- maybe 75 at the very least. My coop is closed, and has a couple inches of bedding. The chicks like to snuggle... Can I get rid of their heat lamp? If not, how much longer will they need it?

I appreciate your thoughts! I really want to keep my chickies healthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy
    [​IMG]

2. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

I just got my chicks last week and I only used a heat lamp one night and never in the day. Tonight they are still sleeping away from each other with their wings spread at less than two weeks old.

My first chicks went without a heat lamp at five weeks back in April and out in the coop at five and a half weeks old--they did fine.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I don't think I've ever still had heat on 4-week-old chicks even when brooding at much cooler times of the year. I'd say in this heat wave, they'll be happier without heat....

4. MeadowBrookFarm

MeadowBrookFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    I've got two-week old chicks outside with no lamp. It's in the 90s during the day and 80-ish at night, but they are inside a coop with a tarp cover at night. They are doing great.

5. ChixRock

ChixRock New Egg

Jul 28, 2011
    Davidsonville, MD
    Well- I have been sweating these poor chicks!!!! Thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by