4 week old Dark Brahma pullet or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PaintedMeadows, Jul 13, 2008.

1. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    this is my daughter's chicken named Jasmine so I am praying it's a she. [​IMG] She is almost 4 weeks old in the pictures. Sorry they aren't the best. This chick is more like a puppy. Follows Téa everywhere and sleeps on her while they watch cartoons. lol. Here they are watching Spongebob. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Is her back as well feathered as it appears to be? I'm thinking pullet. In another week or two, it'll be easier to tell; but I'm pretty sure.

3. Plymouthroxgal

Plymouthroxgal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Thats a Pullet .. Cause The Tail is Not really Long and The Comb Is Not redish

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  4. PaintedMeadows

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    Yup, really well feathered and her head is getting feathers fast too. I so hope she is a pullet cause she is HUGELY loved by a little girl who has had her 2 horses die and her dog dissappear in the last 18 months. Thanks!!

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Brahmas in my expierience feather really slow....so it probably is a hn

6. PaintedMeadows

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    cool. We have 3 others that are WAAAYYYY behind her in feathering so they are probably roos? I will try to get pictures of them.

7. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    From the looks of the feathering its a hen. In Dark Brahmas the hens and roos do not look the same. The hens are double laced and the roos have more of a black breast. The coloring is really a silver penciled. Here's a picture of my Dark brahma roo and hens so you can see the difference in there coloring.

This is Rocky my Dark Brahma roo:
    [​IMG]

These are my Dark Brahma hens:
    [​IMG]

This is one of my Dark Brahma pullets at about 8 weeks:
    [​IMG]

8. PaintedMeadows

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    What beautiful birds!! Thank you so much for sharing the pictures!! I hoope one of the other 3 are hens cause we can't really keep a roo. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by