4-week old EE chicks - boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Wynette, May 19, 2008.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I have four chicks, and I've taken 2 pics each - one front view, one from the side. Thoughts on gender? It was a really windy day, so some of them have fluff flyin' I'm not that experienced, but to me, it's looking like three cockerels and only one pullet. Hope I'm wrong!

Chick one - girl?:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chick two - cockerel?:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chick three - cockerel?:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chick four - cockerel?:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    They all look like girls to me LOL!

3. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    I am not even gonna try , I am still trying to firgure out my EE, Good luck on it!! They sure are cuties though.

4. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Personally, I think its too soon to tell. Especially with EEs. Mine are 9 weeks old now and I'm pretty sure they're all pullets, but one had a MUCH wider comb, like your suspected cockerels, at that age. Just my 2 cents from very limited experience!

5. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    They look like pullets but you may want to wait a few more weeks and see.

6. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I would have to say girls. Here is mine, I think he is a he, but he is 4 weeks old as well. He does not have nearly the feathering and his comb is much bigger and bumpier than yours.... I am new at this..last year had sexed pullets, I am a newbie when it comes to sexing them!!

[​IMG]

7. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I think I agree with you. The ones you think are cockerels have wider combs and they look like they have 3 rows of peas. It's hard to tell at 4 weeks tho. It's so hard to wait tho, isn't it! [​IMG]

P.S. I'm no expert...my EE's are 8 weeks old and I still don't know for sure what I have!!

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I was thinking all girls too [​IMG]

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Guess it's too soon to tell, but here's hoping that Guitarists, Bec, mmajw, and peruvian_princess are all correct! I'll wait another few weeks, retake the pics, and post again. Thanks, all, for your opinions!
    Yep, the wait just kills you. I was having a conversation not long about with my hatcher about all the waiting.....waiting for fertile eggs.....waiting for the 21-day hatch....waiting to see what gender they are.....waiting for eggs....seems like we're constantly waiting for the next phase!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by