4 week old EE

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrstiffanymayer, Sep 1, 2009.

1. mrstiffanymayer

mrstiffanymayer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    Bakersfield California
    I am thinking roo. What do you think?

chicken in question is on the left
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

closeup of head
    [​IMG]

comb looking red to me
    [​IMG]

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'd give it a few more weeks. It's hard to tell sometimes with that type of comb. Are his legs any bigger than the other ones? Hard to tell- he's moving in the pic.

3. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    looks rooish for now but that might change.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I can't tell. Wait a few weeks. I don't see anything that shouts roo at this point.

5. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Usually a roo will eye you more than a pullet. He will also thunk when he jumps down. A pullet will land more lightly. A wise Speckledhen told me that. It seems to hold true. Not sure if I can tell from the picks. [​IMG]

6. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I've had a couple of chicks with that "TV static" feathering, and they've been girls. So it's possible you have a pullet. I have 5 month- old EE's running wild outside -- I'll try to get photos for you to compare. I have one small comb and four that look like yours, and one of them was observed crowing to his heatlamp/ spotlight last week!

7. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    This is as close as I culd get to them with my camera zoom. I'm either gonna have to get a better camera or start taming them! One of these two in front is the Midnight crower; neither one has completely lost their baby down yet. The other two have feathered out, but the columbian one has a comb as big as the other two.
    [​IMG]

The little guy in front is a roo, the one in back has a smaller comb than any of them.
    [​IMG]

Sorry I can't get better pics or close- ups. I think the bottom line for your bird is -- I don't know! [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:Are you sure that was me? Don't recall saying that. Hmm. Well, I think you may have to wait on the sex of that one. Though there is a bit of pink the comb is pretty narrow. The pea combed breeds can be tricky if they have a "less than textbook" comb.

9. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Quote:Are you sure that was me? Don't recall saying that. Hmm. Well, I think you may have to wait on the sex of that one. Though there is a bit of pink the comb is pretty narrow. The pea combed breeds can be tricky if they have a "less than textbook" comb.

Thought it was you. It was along time ago tho. So sorry if mistaken.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by