4 week old Faverolles - boy or girl

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 5C2k1H, Nov 3, 2013.

1. 5C2k1H

5C2k1H New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    I bought these 2 pullets?? yesterday. The 'breeder' sexed them by looking at their vents.
    What do you think? Any help appreciated!

2. RanchGirl13

RanchGirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

can I see pics so i can dicied? and yes I know I didn't spell that right

3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    You forgot the pictures :). But I am surprised they vent sexed a colour sexable breed. (Unless they are not salmon coloured?)

If salmon faverolles and they have black feathers growing in then they are boys.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  4. 5C2k1H

5C2k1H New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Done. New to posting photos as well as chickens:)

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    You have a pair.

6. 5C2k1H

5C2k1H New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    Thanks....I thought so:(
    Even at this age the darker one is strutting around!

7. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    So did you ask for one of each?

I don't think they deserve the title "breeder". Can't help wondering if they told you they were vent sexing so they didn't have to keep their rooster. Anyone with half an idea about salmon faverolles knows black means boys.

8. 5C2k1H

5C2k1H New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    No, I asked for 2 pullets. I am in Perth, Western Australia and Faverolles are very hard to come by so it's all a bit hit and miss. There was a queue of people and I think she was trying to get rid of me;(
    I'm not having much luck with my Faverolles.....I have a beautiful 10 wk old girl (almost all white with no foot feathers....so maybe not 100% Fav) but she is adorable and very friendly. She had a very exepensive trip to the vets this morning and I am syringe hydrating and feeding her. As a new chicken owner I didn't think it would be this hard!
    Thanks for your help.

9. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Yeah I had trouble finding mine and was actually on the waiting list for what I now know were pretty sub standard birds when someone posted a link about some for sale in Sydney on the Aussie thread. They wouldnt win any shows as their colour is a bit light and they don't have perfect feet :) but they are 100 x nicer than what I nearly got!

I wonder if it would be worth buying eggs from a good breeder and having them shipped to you to hatch. If this guy is the best thing over there you shouldn't have a problem selling off any boys you get. Just need one of your existing to get old enough to go broody :)

10. 5C2k1H

5C2k1H New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    Yes, eggs would be the best idea but I wanted 2 pullets to keep my other Fav company for although she gets on well with my Barnevelder and Australorpe her nature is so different. If she doesn't pull through I think I'll just get rid of both 4 wk olds before I bond with them :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by