4 week old Guinea keets dying

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by n2nursing, Sep 6, 2016.

1. n2nursing

n2nursing New Egg

Oct 9, 2015
    Heys guys. Im a fairly newbie with guinea keets. I have 10 guina keets about 4 weeks old. 2 have died in the last 3 days and have no earthly clue why. They look perfect otherwise. I did notice yesterday the 1 was acting sleepy sluggish. I have sand in the coop, since they have about 3/4 of feathers I still have heat lamp on at night, been hot during the days. Been feeding a chick medicated starter, and maybe thats the only thing I can think of would be the problem, I thought to switch to turkey gamebird feed. Im perplexed. Could they be pecking at the wooden coop which is pine, Ive read pine is toxic. I have no earthly idea why this has happened. Breaks my heart. Any ideas...

2. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Not 100% sure as to why they are dying but IMO you should switch to game bird stater feed because it has more protein in it. When I had keets I fed them the game bird starter feed from when I got them around a week old until they free ranged. They need a higher level of protein than chickens in order to grow and be healthy

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Kim Z

Kim Z Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Madbury, New Hampshire
    I agree with jedwards. They need the higher protein levels.

1 person likes this.
  4. GlennLee

GlennLee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2016
    Central New York
    Will they eat meal worms? I added some meal worms early on for bell training with my keets, that would be a good protein boost for them - also boiled eggs chopped up. Good luck... sad to hear you are losing your keets and I hope you get this figured out. One more thought.... Are they drinking? Dehydration may be a possibility. Electrolytes added to the water can help give them a boost. And another thought - What's their poop look like? Too runny at this point may mean they are sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by