1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 week old huh??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by t_4_turtle, May 17, 2011.

1. t_4_turtle

t_4_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    I'm new to chickens. My 4 week old chicken does something that I was wondering if anyone knows what this behavior means? while standing still, ([​IMG] she) will rub her beak side to side across the ground like if she is trying to get something off. Or after i pick her up she will do the same thing on my arm. It doesn't hurt me, but I was just wondering if this is some kind of warning or maybe a rooish behvior? I have no idea what breed or sex my chick is...just wondering. Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You hit it spot on. She(he) is just wiping off their beak.

3. Pairie Faring

Pairie Faring Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Dodge City
    Yep. just cleaning off her beak. [​IMG]

4. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Yeah, lol. She just cleanin it off. Some of my girls love to use my pants, shirts as their napkins when I sit with them for some chickie tv [​IMG]

5. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    LOL, mine love to wipe their beaks on me, and they are grown!

6. t_4_turtle

Apr 19, 2011
    HaHa, are you guys sure? I check to see if I can help get whatever is there off and I never see anything?

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's an instinctive thing, I think, and so it doesn't matter whether they need cleaning or not. I notice they do it after eating, just as a cat will clean their face with their paws after they eat.

8. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Ever see a dog 'wipe' it's face on a carpet? Yep, mine does it HOURS after eating!
    Just something he likes to do?!
    Same with chicks....

9. t_4_turtle

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks Everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by