4 week old outside with their mom, to heat or not to heat

eick61161

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 1, 2011
We are expecting temp to not go out of the 30's with lows in the teens. They are in a small rabbit hutch shelter. I was thinking a 75 watt ceramic heat bulb or a 75 watt infrared spot bulb. Or just let mom do her thing

I have three week old (tomorrow) chicks in the unheated coop with my broody - they are hale and hearty. What sort of protection is offered by the hutch they are in? Are there at least three solid sides and a solid bottom/is the hutch lined with a good thick layer of bedding materiel? If there is an open side, is it faced away from the prevailing wind direction?

Last edited:
If they can totally get out of the elements (four walls and a roof) I just let the mom do her thing...
I agree. I've seen Momma Hens bring the chicks out to run around in the snow. She will take them in and warm them up when they need it as long as good shelter is provided. Chickens were doing it long before electricity and heat lamps were ever thought of. They didn't need them then and they don't need them now.

Just watch that the mom doesn't decide she's done being a mom... A friend in another threads hen made that decision and her chick ended up with frost bite blisters on its feet in the coop... If she's a proven mama don't worry.

Thanks to everyone for their input. No heat then, just my improvised cookie tin water heater to keep the water from freezing.

Back
Top Bottom