4 week old Pekins BOTH with unusual coating over right eyes just today

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by walkerz14, May 15, 2010.

1. walkerz14

walkerz14 New Egg

Mar 29, 2008
    Our Pekins went out for their swim today. The weather was over 70 degrees and they were in the water all day. When we got them out they both had a peculiar looking coating over their right eyes. It doesn't seem to bother them and its not runny or anything, but it looks strange, and it's odd they both got it on their right eye at the same time. Does anyone know what it might be or what could have caused it? They are happy and acting totally normal. This is our first time with ducks (we have always done chickens). They are my babies and I am worried that maybe they were in the water too long, got poked by a stick, bugs bugging their eyes.. I don't know!!
  2. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    IDK. But if you could get a pic it would help someone who has more knowledge out. Makes me wonder if ducks have an internal eyelid, like cats. Maybe for the water? I had a cat whose second lid got stuck. Strange.
  3. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    when my pekin took first swim the down feathers if thats what they are called covered the eye it was hard to tell it was the fuz that was covering the eye but once they were well dried it was gone could this be the same thing? My pekin acted like he couldnt open his eyes when this happen i thought I had done something wrong by allowing it to swim.

But now it dont happen any more.
  4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Ducks do have an extra eye lid.. That could have been what you were seeing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by