4 week old Pullet with liquidy poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TexasChicken12, Nov 19, 2014.

1. TexasChicken12

TexasChicken12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Dixi, my favoret pullet, has been having liquidy poop lately. She acts fine, eats and drinks normally, and is active. Is anything wrong with her???? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then this one.....[​IMG]
    Please help!!!!! :(

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    What are you feeding her?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's possible that she is showing some early signs of coccidiosis. She also could have worms. Since Corid is fairly harmless, I would probably give your chicks a 5 day course of Corid (amprollium) to treat for cocci. Then I would give them a few days of vitamins and probiotics after finishing treatment. Lastly, I would worm them with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml for a chick, 1/2 ml for a standard chickens, and repeat in 10 days. Coccidiosis may be present for 3 days before the symptoms of lethargy, standing puffed up or hunched over, not eating, and diarrhea with or without blood is noticed.

4. TexasChicken12

Sep 14, 2014

We are feeding them Purina flock raiser.

5. TexasChicken12

Sep 14, 2014

Where can I get that? Is it expensive? How did she get coccidiosis? Thanks soooo much for your help. I really appreciate it.

6. TexasChicken12

Sep 14, 2014
    She's almost 4 months by the way.

7. TexasChicken12

Sep 14, 2014
    [​IMG] Sorry, I put 4 weeks, they are 4 months.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry, I thought she was 4 weeks. Coccidiosis is very common in young chicks, and they get it from the soil and older chickens. She still could have cocci, but she is getting to the age that she should have built up immunity to it. She could just be drinking lots of water making her stools liquidy, so keep an eye on them. Instead I would try deworming her first, then if there is no improvement, you could try the Corid. I would try to get the Valbazen locally, but it is available online. SafeGaurd is found more easily in feed stores. Corid is found in cattle medicines in feed stores.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by