4-week old sexed pullets.... almost all male?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cab the Mane, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Cab the Mane

Cab the Mane Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    My chickens have developed at different speeds, however, all of them display roo behavior and all of them are 'sexed pullets' One has clearly revealed himself to be a roo, the others also have suspiciously red combs and wattles.
    Here they are:

Previously 'Eden', the 'Silver Laced Wyandotte'. I'm thinking of a male name still... I like this one enough to try and work with him... Do you agree this is probably a roo with red at this age?
    [​IMG]
    Comb closeup... very closeup. He, like the others, is obsessed with stealing the white string on my camera.

[​IMG]
    A shot of the telling wattles!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    'Barred Rocks' Cookie and Nessa both of them have reddish wattles, but wouldn't hold still for a close-up.

[​IMG]
    Liz'bitt the 'Jersey Giant' has reddish on her face too.

These two look like pullets, and are slightly more tame, though all are very tame... Problem is, they act like the others, going into standoffs and fluffing their feathers and whatnot.
    Poppy the adorable and human-loving Buff Orp:
    [​IMG]
    She grabbed the string as I clicked the button, and I was too slow to get it out of the shot... still a good shot of her comb though.

[​IMG]
    A side shot of Poppy to show her feathering, if that helps.

[​IMG]
    Belle the 'Speckled Sussex' watching Poppy... continue to attack the lifeless string.

Please help me figure out what my supposed pullets are.... Sigh... I like all of them, but there are two neighbors within 40 yards on two sides of my place... our yards extend only in front and back... so all the crowing is not going to garner me too many fans at this range, legal or not.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. LostGosling

LostGosling Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Belle and Poppy are both pullets, but I'm not sure on the Barred Rock and the Jersey Giant. Eden looks very much like he may be a Roo. The Barred Rock may be a pullet, but I'm not positive. The black one looks like it may be a Roo as well.

Hope I helped! [​IMG]

3. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    All pullets [​IMG]

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Keep an eye on your SLW. It's hard to tell, but he/she could go either way. My GLW is 14 weeks and just starting to get wattles. Her comb is all black, but it's growing upwards and not width wise. Every chick develops at their own rate no matter what breed.

The rest look like girls. [​IMG]

5. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Quote:I think so too. [​IMG]

6. Cab the Mane

Cab the Mane Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    oh, looks like I accidentally posted the jersey giant instead of the second barred rock!

Either way, I'm glad to have some reassurance that some of you think I might have all the pullets I was supposed to! Delighted to hear that's still a possibility.

7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I think it is a common misconception that you can tell a cockerel from a pullet at an early age by their "behavior". In my experience, they pretty much all behave the same until the hormones kick in when they are mid-teens or so. The "going into standoffs" is simply figuring out the pecking order. Once they have established the order, that will subside, but you may find that any time their environment changes - for example moving to a bigger run, or free-ranging for the first time, that there will be a new flurry of chest bumping as they determine whether or not the pecking order has changed along with the addition of space.

8. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    All pullets especially the buff orp.

9. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    The young pullets do the standoff thing and flaring their hackle feathers too. Doesn't mean they are roos.

10. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I have a couple of Welsummer pullets that act like they're leading their own "biker b****" gang and my little cockerel has yet to grow a pair at 13 weeks (even though he has some pretty saddle feathers and a plump, red comb so clearly the hormones are there!) I promise, behavior is NOT an indicator of gender at 4 weeks. I know I read a few posts that suggested it was and I was all worried because my group was doing some crazy stuff! Neck flares, pecks, chest bumps, running charges... even going at each other with feet! And they're all girls except the quietest, meekest chick that ended up sprouting a red comb and some tail sickles at an early age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by