1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 week old silkie chick gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thomp119, Jul 2, 2013.

1. thomp119

thomp119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    North Tustin, CA
    Chick A (largest if the 3)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick B (middle size of the 3)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick C (smallest if the 3)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. A Chicken Owner

A Chicken Owner Chillin' With My Peeps

Chick c looks like a roo

3. thomp119

thomp119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    North Tustin, CA

That's so funny. Chick C is the smallest, does not cock it's neck out and is timid. I hope I have 2 hens from this bunch :)

4. A Chicken Owner

A Chicken Owner Chillin' With My Peeps

At this age silkies are very hard to sex that's why I could int guess chick c and I still could be wrong. If possible, post more pics from them in another 2 months time they'll be a lot easier to sex then.

5. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I'm definitely going to try posting here soon. I have four white silkies that I hatched out and I would like to know what they are. I don't currently have ANY adult silkies (I purchased these as eggs and had them shipped in). I've been able to sex just about every chick that the broody bantams are caring for EXCEPT the silkies. And so far the odds are in my favor - I've got a LOT more hens than roos! I'm hoping the silkie chicks keep with those odds (or at least go 50/50).

6. sarahtruck

sarahtruck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2016
    Can you provide an update? I have 4 week old silkies that have many of the same traits as yours and I'm also curious if I can make guesses.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by