4 week old silkie limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cindy2020, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Cindy2020

Cindy2020 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2017
    Plaistow Nh
    Hi,
    Have four 4 week old chicks....2 light brahmas and 2 Silkies.
    they are all in together in brooder in house...the brahmas have started to jump up on perch and jump down, much more playful than silkies.
    Yesterday I notices one of the silkies was holding her foot up and hopping on the other leg.
    She still gets around, but is laying around more, so I know it hurts.
    I think one of the bigger chicks might have injured her foot. Can't see any open wound or deformity.
    She is eating and drinking. I put her and her sister in a separate bin and soaked her foot last night.
    Today she is not moving as much...all the chicks are chirping for each other...its pathetic.
    keeping them in their own bin for now....should I do anything else for her foot?
    Has anyone ever had this happen.

I had to put two chicks down a few months ago due to splayed legs that just got worse.
    I am freaking out over this baby silkie. Please Help

Thank you
    Cindy

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would just keep an eye on her. Hopefully, she has just suffered a sprain, and will start putting her leg back down soon. Will you put them back together when she improves? They probably need to stay together to bond for the future. Can you remove the roosts for a few days and put a screen on top of the brooder to keep the brahmas from being too rough. I hope your silkie gets better.

3. Cindy2020

Mar 8, 2017
    Plaistow Nh
    thank you

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome, wish I could offer more help. Since she is so little and light, her leg may mend quickly. Let us know how she eventually gets along.

5. Cindy2020

Mar 8, 2017
    Plaistow Nh
    Good news .....I separated the silkies from the bigger ones for a few days, I still let them have supervised visits each day. lol
    Today the little one is doing much better, barely a limp.
    They are all back together in a larger area with no perches.
    Which is what I think happened, one of the bigger girls likes to jump off the perch and landed on the little one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by