1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 week old silkie with pendulous crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tabilda, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Tabilda

Tabilda New Egg

Nov 16, 2011
    Hi all first time here and I need help please! I have 2 lovely silkies which I hatched 4 weeks ago. The White one developed this enormous bulge under her neck which is weighing her down and she can't scratch her head. The vet diagnosed pendulous crop which he had never seen in such a young bird! He wanted to put her down... She is happy and pooping though so am trying 24 hours of water only and hourly olive oil with massage - is there anything else I can do???! The other one would be so lonely without her...

Thanks for any advice, Tabilda

2. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
  3. Tabilda

Tabilda New Egg

Nov 16, 2011
    The vet put one on her yesterday but she couldn't walk - just too small!!

4. Animalian

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    could you try making a custom one for her? like out of an old hanky or other non stretchy but lightweight material?

5. Tabilda

Tabilda New Egg

Nov 16, 2011
    I tried this with a price of muslin tied like a sling but she falls over and refuses to get up so it defeats the object! If only she were bigger but the lump probably weighs more than her now... [​IMG]

6. Animalian

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Some chickens will back up and do stupid things tryin to 'evade' the 'evil' thing around them. Maybe that's what she's doing. It will take a little while before she realises its not trying to kill her

7. Tabilda

Tabilda New Egg

Nov 16, 2011
    OK I will persevere! She is still with me after fasting for 1 day (as she is so little) and then only feeding very wet mash with grit and olive oil and always following up with a massage. I will post an update if she makes it in case it helps other people...

THanks, tabilda [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by