4 Week Old Silkies Pics Up 6 week pics up

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by austincoopersilkiesies, Jul 11, 2011.

1. austincoopersilkiesies

austincoopersilkiesies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    I Bought 3 Silkies From My Pet Chicken All Are Sexed 1 Partride Hen So I Know She Is A Girl But I Also Got 2 Black Silkies A Roo And A Hen Is There A Way To Tell At This Stage Or Not 1 Is Alot Bigger Then The Other. And Is There A Way To Tell If They Are Bearded Or Not At This Age?? And What Make A Show Quality Chick? All Have 5 Toes And Are Pretty decent in Plumage And Are Very Symetrical.When They Were 1 Day Old It Looked like 2 Of Them Had Muffs But Not So Much Now And They Dont Seem To Have Alot Of Crest Feathers Right Now.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. austincoopersilkiesies

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    Please Answer![​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Silkies are really hard to sex...mine are 14 weeks old and I'm just starting to be able to tell that one is a roo. Size doesn't seem to matter. The crest, once in, does...but that will take a while with your little babies. I'm hearing, on byc, that hatchery silkies are harder to tell then breeder birds because they don't feather out like breeder birds do. Hopefully someone who breeds and shows silkies will help you with your other questions. Show Quality deals with toe spacing, toe feathering, back length, wing feathering, tail feathering, etc. It's a lot to learn [​IMG]

I think the bearded chicks usually have more poof to their cheeks than the beardless...

As they say, you'll know when it crows or lays its first egg [​IMG]

Enjoy your babies, they are really sweet little guys!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Are you from Downingtown as in PA?

5. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Yep unfortunately you will need to wait a while longer before you can really determine. I just rehomed my 3 boys today [​IMG] they are 17 weeks old and I just figured out they were boys about 3 weeks ago. All of a sudden though I knew that two of my 3 white silkies were boys. They had a growth spurt and started their "crowing" (if you can call it that) while their little sis stayed the same size. In about a week after that they were DEFINITELY boys, they became stocky in their shape compared to their sister and started messing with the other girls. (typical boys)

GOOD LUCK!!

6. austincoopersilkiesies

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    Hey leadwolf1
    Thanks And Yes I Am From Downingtown Pa!

7. austincoopersilkiesies

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    They Seem To Have Short Backs And Lots Of Feathery Plumage And One has A Big Round Cushion And The Other One A Smaller Round Cusion Already Lots Of Toe Feathering. The 4 Toes Are Regularly Spaced And The Extra One With The Back Toe Are Close And Meet at The Back Of The Leg.

8. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Quote:A while back I bought silkies from my pet chicken and they were all sexed wrong. Hopefully they were accurate for you! There crests usually come in later. With hatchery silkies, you may barely get any crest at all.

Beards should be noticeable at a day old. Here is a picture of an older chick.
    [​IMG]

Also they should have middle toe feathering like this with 5 toes.
    [​IMG]

You cant really tell if they are show quality at that age. You generally cull for toe number, toe feathering, or comb type when they are chicks. The comb should look like this. One day old chicks look like they have no comb.
    [​IMG]

9. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I am surprised that anyone is selling sexed Silkies as sexing bantams can be tricky and can hurt the chick if the sexer isn't extra careful.

It is going to take a while to figure out the sexes, but sometimes you know early on if you have a boy since they sometimes start crowing before you see any other signs.
    I don't know what is harder, Silkies or EEs [​IMG]

10. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Quote:Thats what I thought to. It isnt very accurate either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by