4 week old still not growing

I hatched out a chick a day before Easter. He is 4 weeks old currently and will be 5 weeks on Saturday. He seems to be fine health wise, but he is barely bigger than a day old chick. He isn't lethargic, he is eating and drinking fine. He has a lot of energy, he is just tiny. Maybe it's because he is a boy? Could that be why he is growing so slow? I heard boys take longer to grow than pullets do. Here he is compared to the chicks, who are just a few days old. (He is the dark brown one, the GLW)
Screenshot 2021-05-07 at 8.52.19 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-05-07 at 8.52.05 AM.png

Could be breed, genetics or ??
If he's eating/drinking/energetic, then you'll just have to wait and see how it goes. Some chicks develop more slowly than others. I would not chalk up slow growth to one gender or another.
The mom is small for her breed and the male is standard size. Last time I hatched an egg from her, the chick was super tiny and ended up passing at around 2-3 weeks.

So there may be something genetic with her that's getting passed on since this is the second chick that is small. I might reconsider hatching any more from her in the future.

Back
Top Bottom