1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 week olds and new batch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kjt135, Mar 27, 2012.

1. kjt135

kjt135 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Small town KY
    I am hatching my very first batch of eggs. Could be as early as Saturday. My question is after they hatch, I leave them in the incubator for how long before I move them to brooder? and can I put them in with my 4 week olds? I would appreciate all the help I can get Very sad to loose them thanks

2. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i will have this same problem since i have 1 week old chicks now and my eggs are due to hatch in 3 weeks. from what i've heard, 4 weeks is too long of a gap to put the day olds in with them. you have to wait till they are more of the same size. what i'm going to do (and this depends on where you live) but my older chicks will be outside in their own separate coop and run (separate from my adult chickens). then my brooder will be free for the new guys. then once the new guys get to be about 3 weeks old, out they go with the older chicks. and i'm going to introduce them all at night when the bigger chicks are sleeping. i read that's a better way to introduce new chickens.

3. kjt135

kjt135 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Small town KY
    Thanks for the info I think I may try this also. Should be warm enough for mine to go out then too. First batch hasn't hatched and I'm already planning on my next batch lol This could be a problem I think i'm hooked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by