4 week olds! Help!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gvnam, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    I don't have a light out in my adult coop because I needed one for my chicks that are inside. The chicks are 4 weeks old. Do they still need the heat lamp? My house is about 70 degress downstairs where they are. It is getting cold at night and my pulleys don't have a insolated coop. Am I able to move the heat lamp outside? Will the chicks inside be fine? I have a heat pad I turn on for the chicks to lay on every night. That seems to keep them warm.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Hey. WalMart stores are open 24/7. They sell the work/heat lamp fixture for $8 and the bulbs are like $6. Even if they don't have a 250w red one, a simple 150 watt flood light will work great. See ya back here in about 20 minutes. [​IMG]

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    They should have most of the feathers by now , Right? They should not need much heat. Enough that they can run out of the heat if need be at 4 weeks they should be OK almost without it. My friend was just thru PA and said it was cold there. How cold?

4. Gvnam

Sep 16, 2011
    During the morning- upper 40s mid 50s and if were lucky, looowww 60s. At nigh 30s to upper 20s. This Saturday were expecting snow.

5. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:How can you resist with snow coming, wow I am a sucker for babies and 4 weeks is still a baby. You got to give them a blast of heat just to take the chill off the air and at least bring the garage into the high 50 or 60's. Can you plug up the bottom of the garage door with anything to stop the cold coming in? I mean last couple of nights in Oregon it got cold ll of a sudden and my coat went on so its cold bc I am always if possible in t-shirts.

6. Gvnam

Sep 16, 2011
    The 4 week olds are inside my house which is in the 70s. The 15 week olds are outside, they are the ones I am most worried about. But I don't want to take the heat lamp away from the 4 weekers.

7. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Your 15 week old girls have full down base acquired by being in the weather the are in and as it gets colder it gets thicker and they are fully feathered to protect the down from getting wet in any way short of a flood. Have you ever tried to wet your chickens? Get a squirt bottle and put it on stream and squirt them and the water rolls off. Have you heard the expression "Water off a Ducks Back" the feather is an insulation by itself but its the down next most important feathers on a bird are the down feathers. In down feathers the side branches are longer than the rachis stems and it makes them crazy which is the why down is fluffy. Now if you add heat to these birds you will completely trick there body into believing its warmer and does not need to get heavier insulation and wont produce it. So trust they have a down coat and a jacket over the top and build tremendous amount of heat to the point of panting at times in the sun

8. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    70 degrees for 4 week olds inside a house should not require a heat lamp. You want to encourage hardiness in preparation for winter. It is normal for them to sleep in a huddle for warmth and companionship.
    We currently have 3 week olds in the main unheated coop snuggling up with mamahen and whomever else they are close to on the roost for the night. It's amusing to see mamahen spread her wings over the chicks while on the roost. We wonder if she keeps them spread wide all night. Her wings must get very tired. She had them up on the roost at two weeks of age. ( yeah, we thought she was rushing things, but she's the mom.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by