4 week olds, Is it too cold out side

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Thommo, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Thommo

Thommo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    G'day all, I Live in Adelaide, Aus
    and got 3 4 week old chicks today, 2 australorp and 1 isa brown, my Q is my partner is expecting
    so she doesnt want them in the house, will they be ok out side?? my thinking was i have a lil wooden coop thing
    that i got of ebay(i rushed right in and it was way smaller then it looked) if i keep the lil coop in my shed will they be ok until they can go outside into the larger coop, the breeder said the came off the heat a couple of nights ago we are having some cool nights here
    46f, i dont really wanna put them back under heat but i might have acess to a brooder box if needed, Chicks are also fully feathered
    Thanks for your replys [​IMG]

2. jtr

jtr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    well i put mine out at 5 weeks and had a heat lamp on them just at night not day then it took it off at 6 weeks old. my weather was about the same maybe a little colder. another thing they would not be fully feathered at 4 weeks old you might get one with most feathers at 8 weeks old but you might still want a heat lamp at night because they are so small and not as many so they cant get all balled up to stay warm hope this helps good luck [​IMG]

3. Thommo

Thommo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Thanks 4 the reply, yeah it helps, i was thinking the same thing, they came from a pen that had abt 20/25 chicks body heat wouldnt be as high

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I put mine in a brooder outside from the start but took down the heat lamp when the smallest was 5 weeks and night temps were staying above 60. The youngest had feathers on her head but not under her wings. She wasn't sleeping under the lamp so I figured that it was no longer needed. The next week, temps dropped down to 50 and she was still happy and only slightly more feathered (she's very vocal and lets me know, loud and clear, when she isn't happy about something).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by