1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 week olds please help identify breed and gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by deek, Apr 17, 2012.

1. deek

deek Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    South Georgia
    [​IMG] Amelia
    [​IMG] Blondie

[​IMG] Big Red on left (at lease a wk older) has thick legs
    [​IMG] Sam in center- has really thick legs
    [​IMG] Baby

2. deek

Apr 6, 2012
    South Georgia
    sorry..."at least a week older" not at lease...

3. Melinda35

Melinda35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Texas
    Sorry have no idea....just wanted to say that I love Amelia's markings! She is a cutie.

4. deek

Apr 6, 2012
    South Georgia
    she/he always comes to sit on my lap for a few minutes.

5. Melinda35

Melinda35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Texas
    I hope someone gives you an answer. My only guess would be Big Red is a RIR but I am definitely no expert.

6. deek

Apr 6, 2012
    South Georgia
    Just from looking at others' pictures, Amelia looks like an Australorp. I agree with you and believe that Big Red and possibly Baby are RIR. Blondie is more copper/carmel than the other two. Sam is a total mystery. At first I thought Barred Rock, but he never had a spot on his head. He might be a Black SexLink. Perhaps Blondie is a Gold SexLink. I'm new to all of this and therefore don't really have a clue. I just pray that they aren't all roosters.

7. Maev

Maev Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Yakima, WA
    Amelia does look like an Australorp to me. Big Red and Baby look like my hatchery RIR. I think you need to add close up pictures of their faces/combs to be able to tell gender. Also they might need to be a week or so before people can tell you the sex. Cute babies!! [​IMG]

8. deek

Apr 6, 2012
    South Georgia
    I will post close ups next week. Thank you. If behavior could be a predictor, my money is on Big Red, Sam, and Blondie being cockerels! If the size of their feet is an indicator then absolutely Big Red and Sam as their feet are twice as thick as the others. I will be soooo disappointed. I'll need to find them a good home. They are so sweet and will probably be gentlemen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by