4 week olds - roo check EE, Sussex, Delaware?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sdeneen2001, Apr 16, 2011.

1. sdeneen2001

sdeneen2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Okay, my chicks are all 3 weeks old. I'm starting to be concerned that one of my delawares is a roo-let. The first picture is the suspect, the second is a picture of the suspect with the other same age delaware. The suspect chick is bigger, has thick legs and acts much bolder. The last picture is an Easter Egger that is also bigger and bolder than the rest, but I'm pretty sure it is too early to tell for this one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  2. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    What breed of chicken are these?

3. sdeneen2001

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    The first two are Delawares and the last one is an Easter Egger

4. sdeneen2001

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    any thoughts? I'll put up more pictures this weekend. they were 3 weeks old in this picture. The larger Delaware's legs/feet are a third bigger than the smaller one's!

5. Chickmate

Chickmate Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    SE Michigan
    Wow, that last one looks pretty big and the legs look thick as well. I don't know the Delaware breed, but I have Ameracauna's/EE's and I'd say that last one is a roo.

6. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:X2 on the EE roo. I've attached a pic of my 2 Del pullets for comparison. From my understanding(which is limited by the way) roo's will have a lot of smut on their backs pullets won't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These girls were 1 week in this picture

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5 weeks here, and both girls have very minor spots around the neck area but otherwise super white with little black on the wings. I hope this might help some?

7. sdeneen2001

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Okay, here are some updated pictures from 4 weeks. The first is the Delaware - pretty certain it is a boy, especially next to my "other pullet"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next is my larger EE. I think I'm starting to see some rust on the shoulders and I can see all 3 rows on "his" comb. Bigger and bolder than the rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two roos is fine since I got 8 chicks and I can only have 6 hens, but now I'm getting paranoid about my sussex. Could someone tell me what you think?
    Sussex 1
    [​IMG]

Sussex 2
    [​IMG]

Sussex 1 (left) and 2 (right)
    [​IMG]

8. sdeneen2001

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    bumping this up with the hope that someone can offer a gender guess on the 2 sussex. If they are boys, then I'll need to hunt around to replace them. [​IMG]

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Your SS are both pullets. Their comb is still small and yellow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by