4 week olds with agressive behavior?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dusty910, Sep 17, 2009.

1. dusty910

dusty910 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2007
    CT River Valley
    4 weeks old cochin bantys have started showing off and become really competitive. They charge each other, sticking out their chests with their necks stretched high. And then they lose interest a few seconds later (short attention spans lol) I swear, they remind me of some wilderness animal fighting for dominance over the females in the herd. Never noticed this with my first batch so are they roos or just establishing a pecking order?

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I am having the exact same thing with my 5 week old GLW and SLWs. Just posturing right now, but I am hoping it doesn't escalate into all out gang war![​IMG]

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Its pretty normal behavior as they try to establish a pecking order.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed. Even if you don't have a cockerel in the bunch, somebody has to be at the top of the pecking order.

5. Nyrial

Nyrial Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Oh good to know, I thought mine were developing early hormones or something, because they started that about 4 weeks too.

When does the whole hormone thing start anyway?

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The pecking order starts from day one in the brooder. My males started sowing their wild oats early, 10 weeks for one, fifteen for the other.

7. strong440

strong440 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Thats a relief! I saw 4 of my 5 4 week olds doing this the other day - I was thinking "NO! Not 4 cockerels please!!!" But now I have hope!

8. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Ours started bumping crops at a few weeks old or earlier. It turns out that three of the four were cockerels, but the one pullet did it just as much as the others!
    Also, the three cockerels are all four months old now, and they are the sweetest birds (aside from their sister). They never fight seriously, and they get along with their Dad. They run from the hens, too, and they will fall asleep when I pet them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by