4 week partridge rocks PIC HEAVYYYYYY

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by walkswithdog, Nov 17, 2008.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Well, here they are in the morning after the frost cleared. You can see why I gaped at the pics of the fuzzy little silkies at four weeks. Quite a difference between them and this group.

Starbuck is huge and beginning to develop a comb to go with those monster legs, I'd say an early feathering cockeral at this point.

Most of the cockerals are still short of tail, some show a little more but then those tails show hooking feathers.

There are still three distinct color groups. Reds, medium black browns and dark black browns. The darkest have brown on their combs and very bronze legs. The darkest tend to be smaller and shorter tailed.

The reds still represent the largest, with the exception of Starbuck, who looks like he came from an entirely different group of his own. He was the only truly wild marked chick.

I did only get them on Oct. 17, shipped on the 15th, so yes they're only 4 weeks.

They've feathered very fast on the turkey starter. Something for which I am grateful. They're doing quite well out in the coop with a heat lamp. They don't mind coming out and browsing the small yard despite the cold.

Pardon my mess I'm still cleaning up from all the construction. The dogs really enjoy watching them. The turkeys are watching me. They're calming quickly. Quite curious, but that's another topic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More in a bit

2. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    LOL More

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have more to upload... eventually. Chuckle. [​IMG]

I admit it. I like raising chickens. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What pretty youngsters! Great pics, too. [​IMG]

4. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:I'm really pretty excited about this batch, I've got pullets for one thing, lol, and the colors are good or great and their size is much improved over the first group.

This is just a much better representative group. Starbuck is a puzzler. So much larger and different in type. Guess we see how he grows out. He's a hoot.

But I've got nice size and rather more feather than the last bunch ever had so switching hatcheries was a great step for the evolution of this flock. Still lots of work to do, but wow better start.

Ponder has finally grown a notch or two, Cyn. She had me worried there. You should see the nice ebony black and clear bars on her wings.

All in all things are looking up.

Hugs C

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Ponder has finally grown a notch or two, Cyn. She had me worried there. You should see the nice ebony black and clear bars on her wings.

All in all things are looking up.

Good to hear it! [​IMG]

6. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Wow they are all so beautiful!!! I love the different colors of them all. I didn't know they came in different shades, I just thought partridge was one color. I've learned something new today! haha

Our girl is 17 wks now and she has started to get more beautiful each week. Your post has prompted me to run outside and take a few pictures of her, and to see what color she is. I'm thinking red, but maybe you could tell me what you thought too?

I will upload them now.

~Caran

7. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's red right?

8. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Boy! Those are some really pretty looking rocks! How are they for laying as adults?

9. MamaDragon

MamaDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Camden, AR
    What??? No Pics of Dharma? pout.

Good Looking babies.

Hope you got your computer problems worked out.

10. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice pix! Where are your Rocks from?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by