1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 Week SLW Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bridebeliever, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I have one of each!
    [​IMG]
    Roo?
    [​IMG]
    Hen?
    I've been thinking this way for a week now. The only thing I have to go on is the comb. They are hatchery birds, likely not related. Could the one with the turning comb still turn out to be a hen? I'm hoping! I have a GLW that I think is a Roo also!! If that's the case I got 80% accuracy. Ordered 10 birds, one died on day 3 and now it's looking like two are Roos! Ack!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I think your guesses are probably right, I always look to the color of the combs at that age, pullets are orange and roosters are pink.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I think the one with the red comb at 4 weeks is a cockerel. I'm thinking pullet on the other one at this point, but its comb could still turn red over the next few weeks and if it does you will know it is a cockerel as well. The odds of the one with the pale comb turning out to be a cockerel are greater than the odds of the one with the red comb turning out to be a pullet.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I fully agree with Michael

5. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll post again in a couple weeks but I think I Already know the answer. Sigh

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    1 pullet
    1 cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by