1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 weeks age difference OK to MIX?????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chayton, Dec 2, 2009.

1. chayton

chayton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Weatherford, TX
    I hatched my first batch of 21 chicks last week and of course I was so amazed I HAD TO order another dozen eggs that will go in to incubator today. By the time they hatch there will be 4 weeks age difference, when and how should I introduce the new kids to the ones 4 weeks older??

2. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I would introduce them when they are about the same size.....Just a general guide.
    or when they seem to need the same temp.

3. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 groups of chickens. The first are 5 weeks older than the second group, the 3rd group 3 weeks younger than the middle group. I introduced them by dividing the coop with a mini "coop" made out of chicken wire. They could see the younger ones but not hurt them. After a couple of weeks, I introduced them while in the outdoor run (which is at least 20'x25'). This gave the younger ones a chance to escape from the older girls if needed. The flocks would keep together in a group (safety in numbers). I would have to help the younger ones inside at night for a night or two, then they caught on. The youngest birds are now about 26 weeks. While they are often mingled together, there is still that original flock bond between the groups (of course, I think there are mini groups within the groups...the Dominiques hang together, the BA together, etc). Make sure you wait to mix the youngest group in when they are fully feathered and of good size...10+ weeks. Until then, keep them in their cage within the coop. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by