4 weeks apart and mixing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nbchickfarming, Jun 4, 2012.

1. nbchickfarming

nbchickfarming In the Brooder

May 14, 2012
    southern, il
    I have tried to mix 8 week old chicks and 12 week old chicks. any suggestions on how to make a safer environment?
    Read some were about not having corners in run need to make them rounded. plenty of space but they do get rough. also put 6inch PVC drain pipe "cave".I have one bantam in the smaller group. worried she is in danger so keeping close watch. They have been in the same coop/run for over a month separated by chicken wire and Ive been doing short mixing 2-3 hours mostly supervised.
    any suggestions welcome.

8wks bunch
    1 cochin bantam
    2 RIR
    1 ameraucana

12 week group
    2 Gold sex link
    3 barred rock

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Songster

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    After having them in the same coop & run divided for a month - are they sleeping near each other with just the fence dividing them? Let them interact for longer times - keep a eye on them but, they need to established the pecking order to become one group.

3. nbchickfarming

May 14, 2012
    southern, il
    They didn't get close with wire
    on April 24 coop finally finished, put all together, they slept in a pile on coop floor[​IMG] (it was their first meeting) ended up separating them next day because ....the two smallest were getting pecked really bad. all closer in size now- except bantam.

last night removed all wire- put sand on run floor- extra roost put in , they slept on separate roost .
    this morning nobody hurt but all little ones hiding together in nest box..... shut pop door so little ones have the coop to them self Will mix later today again for longer time.

Should i just let them go? or wait until batam bigger?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  4. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Could you make a safe place for the little one? with a heat lamp on a timer for nights if needed -The safe place has to have a big enough opening for just the bantum to get in but, too small for the larger ones.The Bantam is never going to be as big as the LF breeds so, getting them to except the little one when they are young - will be easier when everything & coop is new to them. I think once the LF breeds set up house rules and pecking order - it will be harder to add the bantam in to the group. Good Luck

5. nbchickfarming

May 14, 2012
    southern, il
    thanks good idea . ill try adding small chicken wire area for bantam .added new roost yesterday old girls still in same place. helped the 2 small rir to new roost the ameraucana and bantam figured out all on their own. sleeping in dark now no fights the little ones get along great.... is it bad to have two roost ?

6. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I don't think it matters. My chickens all have their buddies that sleep together at one end and another group that sleep on the opposite end.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: