4 weeks Old and Coop at Night

CATRAY44

Lard Cookin Chicken Woman
15 Years
Jun 4, 2008
Hillsdale County, Michigan
We live in Michigan, and though it is July, it is unseasonably cold- somewhere around 60* at night. I have been letting them out in the coop and run during the day. They have most of their feathers (just a few baby feathers left on the back of their necks.) Would they be ready to be in the hen house at night without a heat lamp?

Thanks!

Cathy

I know what you mean. Here in Ashtabula County, we've had some 52° nights recently. Hard to believe it's July.
roll.png

You don't say how many birds or their age. We usually keep ours in the brooder until they are 4 or 5 weeks old (depending on the time of year they are born).

If you have electric in the hen house, put a thermometer in it. Go out and check it a couple of times during the night to see what it is like. You could put a 40 watt bulb in a brooder lamp, or invest in one of those radiant heater bulbs.

If you don't have electric in the hen house, you could put a box on its side with straw in shavings in it. If you have a number of chicks, make a 3 sided box with straw bales and top it with a tarp. If the chicks get chilly they will cuddle and the box or straw bales will help hold some of the heat in.

The chicks should be fine if they are fully feathered. Welcome to the worried mother hen club!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
We converted a large dog house and 10'x10' run into a hen house and run (covered it with hardware cloth.) We have 3 pullets. The house fits the 4 square foot per bird rule. There are 2 vents and a window covered with hardware cloth and a slider Plexiglas window pane. I kind of think that if I keep the Plexiglas window shut, the 3 birds might be ok. There is no electricity in the hen house. What did you decide to do, 31665? Are yours out at night? I may try your idea about the box, Keljonma. Any further thoughts?

Thanks,

Cathy

I live in VT. I put my Barred rock chicks in the coop at 4 weeks.
Just put a liitle pile of hay in a corner so they can huddle up if they get cold. They will be fine.

WI has been cold too...got to 40 one night and we did turn on the light for our 5 week olds that night but when it gets down to 60 they are just fine. We have a really good insulated coop too.

it was in the 40s and 50s at night when i put mine out at about 2-3 weeks. They were fine, I used the heat lamp at first and found they stayed away from it so I switched to a 100wt bulb for a week or 2. Its been said before, remember what it was like 50 years ago...they are hardier than you think.

Last edited:
Well, they are spending their first night out in the hen house. They were not very happy about it, from the sounds they were making- lots of loud peeps. I will be glad to see them in the morning.

Thanks everyone, for your help!

Cathy

Back
Top Bottom