4 Weeks old... can they go out?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by easthampton, Jul 16, 2011.

1. easthampton

easthampton New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    Hi, I have 6 chicks at 4 weeks old and they look pretty feathered... just a little fuzz still on some heads and necks. I had them inside under a lamp to keep it at 80 recently. It's gotten ridiculous because I have to run the AC and the lamp to keep the temp constant yet its 80 outside right now.

I just moved them out to a small coop inside my main coop and run so they are kept protected and away from the other birds for a while. Temps for the next 10 days say 80-90 during the day and 73-68 at night. It will be about 70 tonight and therefore cooler then they have experienced yet. I noticed they are all on the ground near each other sleeping since this is the first time the light has been off them. The mini coop / box (3' x 4' x 2') is closed up except for a crack at the top for air. No lamp.

I am assuming they will be fine since it is not cold and since there will be no drafts and their own body heat will probably make it slightly warmer then the air at night.

Can someone confirm my assumption? Do I have to open the lid and put the lamp on them again? It will be 70 in there and the lamp will make it 80.

Thanks!

2. kburen

kburen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    My 4 week olds have been outside on my porch (room with a cement floor and windows all around) for the last 2 weeks. They haven't had a light at all for over a week and have done fine...It's even supposedly gotten down in the high 50's one or 2 nights.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They will be fine. It is plenty warm enough for chicks of that age.

4. easthampton

easthampton New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    OK, thanks for the responses, just wanted to make sure.

5. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    I have five in a small chick tractor out side. Three of them were just over two weeks old and two were almost four weeks, when I put them out.
    Days in the 90's and nights 70 and one night 60's. All has been well. They go in the little cubby part and huddle. I had to put them outside as they were just smelling too much inside and I have conure's in the room they were in. They needed fresh air.

6. angrybird

angrybird New Egg

Apr 17, 2011
    i put my 2 weeks old out side too ...it's cool here. day 7x, night 5x. they are happy and active

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by