4 weeks old chick pooping blood.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by debramedwards, Feb 17, 2015.

1. debramedwards

debramedwards New Egg

Feb 17, 2015
    Hartsville, TN
    I have 7 chicks all 4 weeks old. I noticed today two bloody poops in their pen. I looked it up and many websites suggest it is cocci however, they are not exhibiting any of the other symptoms. They are all eating, jumping, playing and chirping like normal. None of them look ill or tired. It does not look like blood from shedding their intestine. It looks like something else. I was curious if anyone had chicks exhibit this issue before. Thanks!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If it's blood you need to treat them with Corid or sulfadimethoxine. Cocci can kill them fast. I would expect chicks with cocci to look real sick. If your chicks are eating and running around, maybe check their bodies over for any kind of bleeding.

3. debramedwards

debramedwards New Egg

Feb 17, 2015
    Hartsville, TN
    I checked all of them thoroughly and they all look perfectly healthy aside from the pooping blood. I will treat them for cocci just in case. How quickly does cocci kill young chicks who are already pooping blood?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Get some Corid ASAP and treat all of them.

20% powder dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for for 7 days.
    9.6% liquid dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for for 7 days.

-Kathy

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  5. debramedwards

debramedwards New Egg

Feb 17, 2015
    Hartsville, TN
    Thank you all so much for your advice! I'll be getting some Corid in the morning and treating them right away.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Forgot to say welcome to BYC! BTW, you'll find Corid (amprolium) in the cattle section of Tractor Supply.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by