4 weeks old loosing feathers on neck and wing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 4reds, Apr 6, 2011.

1. 4reds

4reds Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    [​IMG] I am very worried about 2 of our baby chicks. One lost most of her baby feathers on her neck and when I noticed her neck was raw. I removed her from her 25 sisters and have been putting vaseline on it for two days the raw spot is clearing up and is just pink now. She is also loosing all the feathers on the top of her wings. No raw spots just no feathers. I noticed one of her sisters today had two scabs on each of her wings. I took her out and put vaseline on the spots. I am keeping them in there own tub away from there sisters. Could it be that the two of them have mites and the others are just slow to get them, or could it be that they are alergic to the new brand of shavings that I bought. The are still lively and noisey they are eating fine and drinking. They don't seem to be sick at all. What could it be and what can I do for them?

2. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    they could simply be loosing their baby feathers and getting their grown ones, if some chicks are starting earlier than others the others will pick at them which can cause the raw scabby spots to form.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by