4 weeks old outside? temperature questions?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jacob42, May 19, 2009.

1. Jacob42

Jacob42 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Saginaw MN
    I had them outside for over 2 hours yesterday and they loved it. The average overnight temp is high 30's to low 40's. Daytime temps 60-70.I built an indoor coop in my shed any ideas of how soon I can leave them out there? They are white crested polish if breed makes any difference. I will leave heat light on outside but I dont know if that will be enough or not. Helpful ideas would be great.

2. SMan

SMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Ridgefield, Wa
    8 Weeks to be safe it takes alot of power to get 30-40's to 70ish, maybe 6 weeks if night time temps raise and you can keepem warm. BUT if you can keep it warm at night now would be no problem.

3. Jacob42

May 14, 2009
    Saginaw MN
    would heat lamp be enough to keep them warm outside? what temp shoud it be outside if I want to leave them outside during the day? I am paranoid about predator birds in our area. I live not to far from lake in Minnesota and there are eagles and hawks. Would they be safe in my yard or should I keep them in enclosed pen for now? They seem so small running around my yard but they loved it out there.

4. SMan

SMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Ridgefield, Wa
    I'd baby them a little longer, just wait till all their feathers are in if you want to be safe. They are also prolly a little young to range unless then are hen raised and have mom there, but maybe someone else can chime in with another perspective.

5. Jacob42

May 14, 2009
    Saginaw MN
    how old are they when they get all feathers in? Under wings still look a little bare, but rest of feathers coming in good. They seem bored tho, what can I put in their cage to peck at when they cant go outside?

6. SMan

SMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Ridgefield, Wa
    8 weekish for all feathers. Try a feather duster, cricket, etc (provide grit with non chick starter food)

7. Jacob42

May 14, 2009
    Saginaw MN
    I put some crickets in there but they were gone in no time. Do they still need the heat lamp inside or can I switch to normal bulb with lower wattage now?

I will have to get a feather duster and try it. It wont hurt them if they eat the feathers off it?

8. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Dig up a clump of grass with the dirt attached and put in there. My 3 week olds love it!

9. Kathy1

Kathy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

What about puting them outside in an enclosed area for the day then bringing them in at night? Is that an option for you? It would give them the bast of both worlds.

10. beaken

beaken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2009
    I live in central Minnesota i,m new to all this. 1st year. I have 25 plymouth rocks and 25 goldlinks. At 2 weeks old I wanted them out of the house. they were in a 4x8 brooder. took the brooder to the uninsulated coop which is 13x13 . Theirs a door on the brooder I left it opened so they could run around the coop. I had one 200 w red heat light 2 1/2 feet above the brooder on 24 hours a days. if they got cold they went in there. after 3 days I opened the door to the 24x13 run they'd be out there for hours at 45-50 temps . If they are cold they will find the heat. TODAY they are 5 weeks old I,m unplugging the heat light tonight. Personally with the experience I,ve had the last 5 weeks I think the heat thing is way over rated !! Have it available to them and they will go to it if they need it !!

p.s on all nights when they were only 3 weeks old i,d go check on them at night it would be in the 30's half the chick were always running around eating drinking playing outside the brooder where the heat is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by