4 weeks old today, the coop is ready.....are they?

paperpunch

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
We've got 8 hen chicks that turned 4 weeks today. They have been inside totally so far, but the coop and run are finished.
We live in S.C. Pennsylvania and the weather has been cool, but I wonder if they will be ok out in the coop by now?
I set up the red heat lamp out in the coop (on a thermostat) in case they get too cold, and right now I am getting ready to go out 'N see
what the temp is inside.
The chicks have been use to about 75 degrees in the brooder, but they are getting a good many feathers on them so far.
There are two sexlinks, two buff orpingtons, two Rhode Island Reds, a barred rock, and one Americauna.
They are soppose to be cold hardy but by what age?
These are our first chicks, so we are like new parents and sheltering them! he he he
Thanks for any advice!
Paul & Becky

You will likely get varying opinions on this. I personally think 4 weeks is too young to move them to the coop. I would wait until they are at least 6 weeks old. And I would keep the heat lamp on until they are at least 8 weeks old. I would also keep them locked in the coop for the 1st week or two to teach them where home is. Just my opinion....

Back
Top Bottom