4 weeks old??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by xchairity_casex, Sep 18, 2011.

1. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    our local pet store got in a pair of 4 week old lop bunnies they are selling!? is 4 weeks old enough to go??? i always heard 7 weeks for baby bunnies?

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Four weeks old is way too young to be away from mom.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

In most states it is illegal to sell a rabbit younger than 8 weeks. Rabbits have high mortality from weeks 4-8. I wouldn't buy a rabbit that young.

4. xchairity_casex

Feb 5, 2011
    thats what i thought when the owner showed them to me im not buying a rabbit i went for aquarium salt but i tought to myself "man that is awfully young!" i think ill give her a call and let her know its a local pet store and the owners is usually very good at careing for the animals so im sure she will not put them up for sale for a few more weeks.
    thank you!

5. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    im pretty sure its illegal in almost every state to be selling them that young, there not supposed to even be IN the store at that age unless they were born on the premises.

6. xchairity_casex

Feb 5, 2011
    i called the owner of the pet store and let her know she said a women brought them in asking her if she could take them becuase otherwise she was going to dumb them somewhere in the woods [​IMG]
    part of teh reason i like this pet store is becuase they dont always buy animals they take in unwanted pets.
    she told me she is going to take them home and keep an eye on them. im very glad i let her know thank you guys

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I'm glad you let her know too. Tell her NOT to feed them alfalfa hay, Timothy hay only along with the pellets. Keep them away from treats too. Poor bunnies.

8. xchairity_casex

Feb 5, 2011
    ohh ok ill let her know tomorrow as soon as i can! thank you! as soon as she told me that i too was very angry but not suprised me and her talk when ever i go there and some of the people she gets in there are insane she told me once she had this what looked lik 16 year old boy try bringing in a wild chipmunk he cuaght in a live trap and sell it for 200 dollars she pretended to be very intrested and got the kids phone number and address and called animal control as he told her if she liked that one he had 4 others back home. another time she found a plastic bag tied shut on the front steps one morning inside was 3 parakeets one was dead and another was almost dead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by